Psoriasis is a common skin condition that speeds up the life cycle of skin cells. It causes cells to build up rapidly on the surface of the skin. The extra skin cells form scales and red patches that are itchy and sometimes painful.
Psoriasis is a chronic disease that often comes and goes. The main goal of treatment is to stop the skin cells from growing so quickly.
There is no cure for psoriasis, but you can manage symptoms. Lifestyle measures, such as moisturizing, quitting smoking and managing stress, may help.
- Gottlieb AB1, Armstrong AW. Psoriasis outcome measures: a report from the GRAPPA 2012 annual meeting. August 2013: J Rheumatol. 2013 Aug;40(8):1428-33. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.130456. Read More
- Gottlieb AB1, Armstrong AW1, Christensen R1, Garg A1, Duffin KC1, Boehncke WH1, Merola JF1, Gladman DD1, Mease PJ1, Swerlick RA1, Rosen CF1, Abernethy A1. The International Dermatology Outcome Measures initiative as applied to psoriatic disease outcomes: a report from the GRAPPA 2013 meetingJune 2014: J Rheumatol: 41(6):1227-9. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.140176. Read More
- Varada, Sowmya & Kim, Noori & Abernethy, April & Armstrong, April & Callis-Duffin, Kristina & Garg, Amit & Gottlieb, Alice. (2014). IDEOM: International Dermatology Outcome Measures - Proceedings from the First Meeting. Psoriasis Forum. 20a. 66-72. 10.1177/247553031420a00207. Read More
- B Gottlieb, Alice & A Levin, Adriane & Armstrong, April & Abernethy, April & Duffin, Kristina & Bhushan, Reva & Garg, Amit & Merola, Joseph & Maccarone, Mara & Christensen, Robin. (2014). The International Dermatology Outcome Measures Group: Formation of patient-centered outcome measures in dermatology. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 72. 10.1016/j.jaad.2014.11.002. Read More
- James A. Solomon, M.D., Ph.D., Ryan Schuering, B.S. An Update on The IDEOM (International Dermatology Outcome Measures) Initiative to Restructure Current Psoriasis Outcome Assessment Measures to a Globally Uniform Set of Patient-Centric Outcome Measures for Use in Clinical Trials and Clinical Practice.Spring 2015: Psoriasis Forum, Vol. 21, No. 1. Read More
- Greb JE, Merola J, Garg A, Latella J, Howard L, Acharya N, Gottlieb AB, Perez-Chada LM, Singh S, Callis-Duffin K, Garg A, Gottlieb AB, Latella J, Armstrong, AW, Merola JF. The Psoriatic Disease Payer Advisory Panel. J. Drugs in Dermatol. 15: 641-644, 2016. Read More
- Greb JE, Merola J, Garg A, Latella J, Howard L, Acharya N, Gottlieb AB Elman SA, Merola JF, Armstrong AW, Callis Duffin K, Latealla J, Garg A, Gottlieb AB: The International Dermatology Outcome Measures (IDEOM) Initiative: A Review and Update. The Psoriatic Disease Payer Advisory Panel. J. Drugs in Dermatol. 15: 641-644, 2016. J.Drugs Dermatol. 16:119-124, 2017. Read More
- Callis Duffin K, Merola JF, Christensen R, Latella J, Garg A, Gottlieb AB, Armstrong AW. Identifying a Core Domain Set to Assess Psoriasis in Clinical Trials:A Combined Delphi Consensus Survey from the International Dermatology Outcome Measures Initiative, JAMA Dermatology, Published online June 6, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.1165 Read More
- Gottlieb AB, Merola JF, Chen r, Levi E, Callis Duffin K: Assessing clinical response and defining minimal disease activity in plaque psoriasis with the Physician Global Assessment and body surface area (PGA x BSA) composite tool: An analysis of apremilast phase 3 ESTEEM data. JAAD 77: 1178-1180, 2017. Read More
- Gottlieb AB, Kirby B, Ryan C,Naegeli AN, Burge R, Bleakman AP, Anatchkova MD, Yosipovitch G. The development of a patient-reported measure for assessment of genital psoriasis symptoms: The genital psoriasis symptoms scales (GPSS). Dermatology and Therapy published online. https://doi.org/10.1007/s135555-017-0213-2, 2017. Read More
- Gottlieb AB, Kirby B, Ryan C, Naegeli AN, Burge R, Bleakman AP, Anatchkova MD, Cather J: The development of the genital psoriasis sexual frequency questionnaire (GenPs-SFQ) to assess the impact of genital psoriasis on sexual health. Dermatology and Therapy, published online. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13555-017-0212-3, 2017. Read More
- Joseph F. Merola, David A. Amato, Kyoungah See, Russel Burge, Craig Mallinckrodt, Clement K Ojeh, Alice Gottlieb. Evaluation of sPGAxBSA as an outcome measure and treatment target for clinical practice. J. Invest. Dermatol. J Invest Dermatol. 2018 Mar 22. pii: S0022-202X(18)31741-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jid.2018.01.041. [Epub ahead of print] Read More
- Salame N, Perez-Chada LM, Singh S, Callis Duffin K, Garg A, Gottlieb AB, Latella J, Merola JF, Armstrong AW. Are Your Patients Satisfied? A Systematic Review of Treatment Satisfaction in Psoriasis. Dermatology, in press. Read More
- Salame N, Torres J, Sandhu J, Callis Duffin K, Garg A, Gottlieb AB, Latella J, Merola JF, Armstrong AW. Patient-Reported Outcome Measures for Pediatric Psoriasis: A Systematic Review and Critical Appraisal from International Dermatology Outcome Measures (IDEOM). Dermatology, in press. Read More
- MD, PhD Alice Gottlieb, Nicole Salame, BA, April W. Armstrong, MD, MPH, Joseph F. Merola, MD, MMSc, Sylvia Parra, MD, Junko Takeshita, MD, PhD, MSCE, Suephy C. Chen, MD, MS, John Latella, BS, MS, Marta Van Beek, MD, MPH; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology: "A Provider Global Assessment Quality Measure for Clinical Practice for Inflammatory Skin Disorders". Read More
- Perez-Chada L*, Salame N*, Ford A, Callis Duffin K, Gottlieb A, Garg A, Latella J, Merola JF and Armstrong A. Investigator and Patient Global Assessment Measures in Psoriasis for Clinical Trials: A Systematic Review on Measurement Properties from the International Dermatology Outcome Measures (IDEOM) Initiative. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology (In press)*co-primary authors. Read More